More Interview Questions and Answers
Are you interested in current affairs?
Alternative and related questions:
Do you know what the current news headline is?
Which news story has recently grabbed your attention?
What would you do to improve the state of the country's finances?
The meaning behind the question:
This isn't exactly a trick question. It's just that they're not just asking if you're interested in current affairs; they're asking you to prove you're interested in current affairs – and you need to be prepared and ready for that.
For a start, your answer to the question has to be 'Yes' if you are to successfully convey to the interviewer that you are a well-informed and well-rounded individual. You should then go on to pre-empt the obvious follow-up question in which the interviewer will ask for a specific example of something which has taken your interest in the news recently. Not only that but you need to be prepared for the interviewer to want your opinion on the matter – so as to test your analytical skills. Just don't say anything controversial or likely to shock!
Yes, I am indeed interested in current affairs. I read The Independent, I keep an eye on the BBC News website and I normally listen to the news in the car on the way home. I watch very little television but, between my newspaper, the Internet and the radio, I really don't need to in order to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. Like many people, I've been particularly interested recently by the ongoing developments in the Arab world. It's going to be fascinating to see how that continues to unfold.
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organisation?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organisation for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organisation for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes