More Interview Questions and Answers
What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
Alternative and related questions:
Do you have any reservations about your ability to undertake this job?
What reservations do you have about working for us?
The meaning behind the question:
You might think this is a reasonably innocent-sounding question but it's actually far from it! First of all, the interviewer has phrased the question in such a way as to imply that you probably do have some reservations and, secondly, asking you about any reservations you may have is clearly prompting you to disclose any weaknesses. Basically, this question is a bit of a trap. If you do have any reservations then they'll end up having reservations too!
In the previous chapter we covered the related question, "What reservations do you have about working for us?" This question may be rather different but the answer has to remain the same.
You don’t have any reservations!
More than that, explain to the interviewer why you don't have any reservations. As is so often the case, you need to turn the question round on them and convert it into an opportunity to sell yourself.
No, I don’t have any reservations about my ability to undertake the role. I trust I've demonstrated how my background and my experience have enabled me to develop the precise skills you are looking for and that I'm a perfect match for the job description you've outlined. I feel entirely ready and able for the challenge.
Word of warning:
If, in reality, you do have any reservations then now is definitely not the time to be discussing them!
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organisation?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organisation for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organisation for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes